Backyard Wildlife Habitats
Garden for Wildlife
Here are 10 reasons to garden for wildlife and certify your yard as a backyard wildlife habitat:
- It's fun! You'll attract beautiful songbirds, cheerful butterflies, and other interesting wildlife to your yard. Watching wildlife can be fun for the whole family.
- It's relaxing! The natural environment of your habitat will provide a peaceful place to relieve stress and unwind, day or night.
- It makes your yard more attractive! Replacing barren lawn with beautiful wildflowers and other native plants will increase the appeal of your property and provide a nurturing place for wildlife.
- It nurtures and supports wildlife all year! Habitat restoration is critical for wildlife where commercial and residential development have eliminated most natural areas. Wildlife especially needs your help during the dry winter months.
- It benefits the environment! Gardening practices that help wildlife, like reducing chemicals and conserving water, also help to improve air, water, and soil quality throughout your neighborhood.
- It rewards you! The National Wildlife Federation (NWF) will recognize your dedication to creating a place for wildlife in the modern world. When your habitat is certified, you'll receive a personalized Certificate of Achievement suitable for framing recognizing your yard as part of the National Registry of Backyard Wildlife Habitat sites.
- It expands your gardening knowledge and lets you share your love of wildlife with others! Once certified, you'll receive a subscription to the quarterly newsletter, Habitats, providing you with a steady supply of tips and projects to maintain your backyard wildlife habitat site year after year.
- If your yard is certified, you are eligible to order and post an attractive yard sign to convey to your friends and neighbors your commitment to wildlife conservation and the environment.
- As soon as you certify your yard or garden space, you will automatically become a member of the National Wildlife Federation, with full membership benefits, including a year's subscription to the award-winning National Wildlife magazine.
- Most of all, with your backyard wildlife habitat certification, you will be helping the City of Parkland remain a certified Community Wildlife Habitat with the NWF!
Learn more about backyard wildlife habitat certification.