Passports for Children Under Age 16
- Original birth certificate with a raised seal, or original Certificate of Naturalization, or a previous U.S. passport
- Women may be required to provide additional documents for name changes since birth
- Picture ID - driver's license (not temporary or learner's permit)
- Two checks or money orders:
- Payable to the U.S. State Department - $110 per applicant for persons aged 16 and older, $80 per applicant for persons under age 16
- Payable to the City of Parkland - $25 per applicant
- One passport photo - 2" by 2" with a white background (photos not available on site)
It is required by law that both parents appear along with their child or children to execute an application for a child under the age of 16. If this is not possible, the single applying parent must show proof of sole custody or the consent of the second parent (through execution of Form DS-3053 along with a copy of picture I.D.).
Evidence of the child's relationship to the parents or guardian must be provided (i.e., parents' names on birth certificate, adoption decree, etc.). More detailed information is available at the Department of State website
Regular passports are valid for 10 years for individuals 16 years of age or older and five years for passports executed before a child's 16th birthday. Routine processing may take approximately 4-6 weeks. Expedited service, which takes approximately 2-3 weeks, is available at an additional cost of $60 per applicant, including express mail fees.