Education Advisory Board
Education Advisory Board Members
- Golden Johansson
- Megan Mila
- Robert Marks
- William Kennedy
- Angelika Schlanger
- Wayne Adler
- Natacha Worthington
About the Education Advisory Board
Pursuant to Parkland Ordinance 2005-30, the Educational Advisory Board shall make recommendations to the City Commission regarding education, improvement of communications between schools and school populations, projects for improving school facilities, and will advise the City Commission on health, safety, transportation, and quality-of-life issues that affect students.
The Educational Advisory Board consists of five regular members whose term shall run co-extensive with the Commissioner appointing that member, two at-large members whose term shall run two years, and two alternate members whose term shall run two years.
Education Advisory Board Work Plan
The Education Advisory Board developed a work plan that outlines their goals and objectives that they work on throughout the year. The work plan is as follows:
Keep Parkland Students In Schools Located Within Parkland
• Advocate for changes to the Interlocal Agreement - Create a standardized platform for uniformity for all Board members. Assign specific Board members to contact individual members of the Oversight Committee to express Board’s platform.
• Seek City of Parkland representation on the Broward County Facility Task Force, IZone Committee and Broward League Of Cities Education Committee - Assign specific Board member to determine which committees would be most advantageous to join and determine mechanisms to join.
Assist In Ensuring The School Board Continues To Move Forward With Building A New Middle School And Elementary School In The Wedge Area
• Have relevant School Board employees report to the Board on a quarterly basis. The Board shall determine which School Board members / School Board employees are desired and develop a schedule for when they shall appear before the Board.
• Seek City of Parkland representation on associated Committees as determined by the Board - Assign specific Board member to determine which committees would be advantageous to join and determine mechanisms to join.
• Designate Board members to attend School Board and associated Committee meetings as determined by the Board to monitor important issues such as retainage of County impact fees.
mprove And Enhance The Communication Between The City And The Schools And School Board.
• Have Board liaisons attend PTA/SAC/SAF meetings – Develop meeting attendance policy for liaisons.
• Have School Board Member and At-Large Member attend Board meetings on a scheduled basis as determined by the Board.
• Have each principal attend a Board meeting to report on the state of their school, needs, challenges and successes – Liaisons shall contact each principal to schedule.
• Board holds annual Mayor’s Back To School Breakfast.
• Board offers annual scholarship to a graduating high school Parkland resident.
• Board liaisons shall communicate to each principal the City’s desire to recognize student and school wide achievement, and stress the need for principals to notify the City of achievements in a timely manner.
- 6:00 p.m.
- Second Monday of each month
- City Hall
August 8, 2016
September 12, 2016
October 17, 2016
November 14, 2016
December 12, 2016